Recipes

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Garden ready

After searching for tomato plants unsuccessfully since Saturday, tonight I finally hit the jackpot!  My garden is dug, compost and soil are purchased and 5 tomato plants, 4 yellow pepper plants, 3 cucumbers, 4 yellow squash, cilantro, parsley and thyme are sitting in their pots ready to go.     Now I need to get digging and hope the weather stays so beautiful.         A bit of bad news for my garden though......this morning while driving the girls to school we past a soccer field that must have had 15 rabbits running around on it!  Looks like I'll be be dealing with a bit of a challenge and a maybe a net fence?      it's not cheap to start a garden (even though mine is just little) and I would be none to happy to wake up to it half eaten and some fat bunnies waiting for more.     I also picked up a compost bin for the backyard and feel a weird sense of relief having it because I was feeling so guilty throwing my scraps in the garbage having been so diligent about composting in Quebec.    Now that the garden is on it's way and my veggie scraps are working to eventually feed it, I've decided to really go green and experiment with making my own everyday products. To start with.....shaving cream for the girls and shaving oil for Steve.  I've already gone green with dish soap and today made window cleaner using 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 3 1/2 cups water.     I put it into a spray bottle and it works great!!   I know that vinegar and windows is nothing new but the rubbing alcohol really makes a difference.  I'll never use Windex again!!
I just picked up 3 spray bottles from the Dollar store and made sure the write the directions on 1 bottle for next time.
This is left over toner that I made for Steve (he uses tons of this stuff but don't tell anyone  :) )  It's just lemon juice, witch hazel and distilled water.
Unfortunately it ended up raining and I couldn't finish the garden today but it was actually a blessing because apparently it's supposed to go down to -4!      29 degrees to -4.....this is Alberta I'm told.
I'll be bringing these babies into the house tonight!
Seems as though these big guys are like gold here since it took me 3 days to find them.  I've not had good luck with my veggies because of sandy soil and too many trees (not enough sun) in the past 8 yrs so I can't wait to finally harvest a successful garden!        unless evil bunnies stand in my way....

No comments:

Post a Comment