Recipes

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Farmers market Saturday

Everybody loves the summer but I love it most for the farmers markets.  Last Saturday Steve and I tried to attend out first one here in Edmonton but it was 3 degrees and snowing!  It snowed all day right into the night and left a nasty inch of coating for us to look at on Sunday.
First it rained
 Then it snowed.....almost June 1st!    It was nice and cozy in the Starbucks though and I brought my breakfast cookie with coconut butter on it.  
But today it was beautiful and 18 degrees!  We went to the Strathcona market in the trendy part of town. The market was indoors and runs all year round so I found it less of a 'farmers' market and more of an artisans selling place.   There were jewellery, purse, jam/jelly, cheese and wood art stands and a few organic sellers which was nice to see.  Locally there's still obviously not much available being only June 5th but I did find some gorgeous tomatoes.
While at the market there was a vendor selling all kinds of flavored mustard's and one that caught my eye was the sweet Habanero.  It was really good but he wanted $12 for 3 tiny bottles (think spice bottles).  So I decided to pick up some habs and make my own....how hard can it be?
I only picked up 3 knowing the amount of heat these babies can produce!  Then in a sauce pan, I added about 3/4 cups of prepared mustard
1 large sweet onion
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
1/4 cup of vinegar
1/4 cup raisins
8 dried apricots
Simmer this on low until onions are soft and then process until smooth.  Place in a jar and refrigerate.
So word of warning....this is HOT stuff!!!  3 Habaneros ended up being too much for the normal human being.  I on the other hand find it perfect  :)  anyone that knows me also knows my love for anything spicy especially habs.    Unfortunately I made this stuff for some fresh bison burgers I found at the market for Steve so I'll update you on all of the grunting, sweating and complaining that will probably be going on tonight during dinner.......tomorrow.             Some other mustard's I'm going to try are Wasabi mustard and I was thinking that a mustard combining fresh and dried cranberries might be interesting....






1 comment: