Recipes

Monday, March 1, 2010

sourdough attempt

Well I've finally decided to finally give it a go and make some sour dough bread. Every so often I look up how to make the starter and then the bread and each time I decide it's too much work and too complicated but now that I have this blog it's a good chance for me to give it a try and show each step along the way. So for the starter or 'sponge' I am letting 1 cup of white all purpose flour and 1 cup of water sit in a large jar for 24 hrs after which time I will throw out 1/2 cup of the starter only to add another 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water. I will do this every 24 hrs until I see some bubbling action. I should consider the starter my 'pet' as one site explained and regularly feed it and love it. They say that a well treated starter can last for years in the fridge - hard to believe. I'm on day 2 now but the only thing that concerns me is the temp. I'm supposed to keep the sponge at 80 degrees in the dark but I don't think there's a spot in my chilly house warmer than 60 from September to June. I've got it wrapped up tonight in a towel next to the fireplace hoping it's nice and cozy. This should take about 4-7 days after which I can put it in the fridge and continue to feed it only once per week.

Jump to Mar 8th and I finally decided to throw in the towel.....and throw out my starter. I can't say for sure why it didn't work but I'm almost positive it was the temp. I was a bit confused at the beginning because on the 2nd day it was actually bubbly and yeasty smelling but I just assumed that it was too early for that because from everything I've read it says 4-7 days. Maybe I should have considered it done then. I am definitely going to try this again but for now I think I'll wait until May when we get to Edmonton. Hopefully we'll find a warm house to live in :)
no bubbles - no action - no starter


No comments:

Post a Comment