Recipes

Monday, March 1, 2010

Turkey soup

The day after our turkey dinner in March, I've made the stock and decided to just make a very simple Mexican turkey soup. Here is the stock that has been sitting in my cold garage in order for the fat to float to the top.

Now the stock with fat removed.

Remember my stock will have the hint of sage and orange from the turkey but that's ok because I think that the smoky cumin in the soup will go nicely with it. This ended up being a very dark and rich colored stock. For the soup I sauteed 2 chopped onions, 4 cloves of garlic and 1 jalapeno pepper until soft. Then add 2 tsp cumin (depending on your taste) salt and pepper, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp chili powder and as much hot pepper sauce as you can tolerate. Add as much chopped leftover turkey as you like. Add 1 large can of diced tomatoes.

Now add 8 cups of your stock and simmer for about 1/2 hr. That's it, you can't get an easier soup than that. I might add some frozen corn to it and when it's dinner time I'll put out chopped avocado, greek yogurt, fresh cilantro and grated cheese for garnish. Some sliced baguette with garlic and cheese, a side of already prepared salad and Voila! dinner is done. Oh and don't forget a splash of lime juice on top of everything.










No comments:

Post a Comment