Recipes

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Green goodness


Happy Wednesday and I hope you're all enjoying the beautiful spring weather because this morning Edmonton was a balmy -3 and our daytime high is supposed to be +3!      Our front step has about an inch of ice on it. Hope I'm not sounding too envious, but really I'm not too worried because everyone here assures me that they do eventually get a spring....sigh of relief!     Seriously though, Edmontonians (a real word) seem so far to be really friendly, cheery people despite the weather conditions they have to endure and yes that does surprise me but it also makes me want to buck up and have a better attitude!  So I am going to and besides....all of my kitchen is being delivered this afternoon and I can finally get back to cookin!
This morning after doing a little web surfing I wanted to do a search on a drink that I have been having lately because I swear I remember seeing a recipe for something like it and I never want to look like a recipe thief on my blog.     Since I am always struggling to get my greens in I made a shake with raw spinach.....I know I know it sounds gross but after throwing in a bunch of other ingredients hoping to mask the flavor I came up with something very exciting and I'm becoming more and more addicted.  But first I must mention that I did find a site that is really great and has named her shakes The green Monster.  She has excellent recipes for it so take a look and I'll just give the recipe for mine as well.......really, try it!
http://greenmonstermovement.com/

In my bullet I added 1 huge handful of fresh spinach, 2 tbsp of the best toasted flaxseed (from Costco), 1 tsp psyllium, 1 tsp cinnamon, stevia or splenda, 1 cup almond milk and 2 ice cubes.
That was yesterday but this morning after reading The Green Monster site she mentioned that cooked spinach retained more of it's vitamins including iron (which I am always in shortage of) so I added about 1 tbsp of water to it right in the bullet and microwaved for less than 1 min.
This morning I changed it up a bit by also adding some canned pumpkin (about 1/4 cup) and I also added 2 capsules of probiotics (open the capsules of course:)).
Don't forget the ice since the spinach was warm out of the microwave.

Yum! I'm addicted. It was much thicker this time from the pumpkin but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between raw and cooked spinach.   So far I have only had these as snacks but you could easily make it a meal by adding some oats, protein powder and fruit.  I'm waiting for my green tea matcha powder and my Maca to arrive and I'll be making it even healthier.    Definitely my new favorite way to get iron!









No comments:

Post a Comment