Recipes

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Raw bread

It was a gorgeous day today in Edmonton at 22 degrees, hot and sunny which is taking some getting used to considering we had a snow storm just over a week ago!   The sun comes up earlier than 5:30 a.m. and we have no blinds but honestly....I love it because it makes you want to get out of bed and get outside.  Even on a Saturday I was up at 7:30 and looking forward to my Venti at Starbucks with Steve. We spent a lot of the day running errands but I managed to finish the bread from the jar of sprouted broccoli seeds.




To the blender I went on a guessing game of 2 carrots, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tbsp olive oil, my jar of sprouts of course, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/4 cup ground flax, 1/4 cup of psyllium, 1 jalapeno, 2 tsp salt n pepper,  1/2 of an onion, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp chili powder and 1 whole lemon peeled.  
After doing a taste test I added 1 more lemon

Might not be be pretty but it smelled really good and I could have happily used this as a dip
I lined my dehydrator with parchment and spread out the mixture onto 2 trays
I'm guessing maybe 2 hrs until I can score it
3 hours!!    you can see the nice darkening color starting to settle in.    I just scored it into triangles and continued dehydrating.  

Costco had these beautiful vine ripened tomatoes for only $4.99 a box, perfect for weekend sandwiches

I ended up dehydrating the bread for a total of 6 hrs.   Today I added the fresh tomatoes, sliced goat cheese, avocado, romaine and Dijon mustard.    Tomorrow I'll try toasting it as it was a bit soft and hard to keep together.          Then I can't wait to bake it in the oven and maybe make a 'tortilla salad'.



Dinner had to be a barbecue since it was so gorgeous out and I had my favorite baby squash in the fridge.   Also present was sliced parsnip, Spanish onion, red, yellow and orange peppers tossed with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dried thyme.  
This turned out delicious served with fresh cod which I just sprinkled with lemon pepper and bbq'd as well.   Being Saturday I baked a whole wheat lemon loaf for the boy as a special treat....... he ate the whole thing!
What did you do on your Saturday?

No comments:

Post a Comment