Recipes

Monday, May 17, 2010

Planet organic

One of the hardest parts of adjusting to a new city or in our case sometimes even a new country is finding out where the best places to shop are.  I tend to be very faithful once I find my favorite markets and rarely will that involve less than 3 or 4 different places.   Yesterday I found a great organic market called http://www.planetorganic.ca/ourstores/edmontonnorth. Although I don't necessarily buy a lot of my groceries in organic (mostly because of the cost) I do love specialty stores for things like chia seeds, tempeh, certain vitamins and so on.   Now with my venture into 'Raw' it's a perfect place to find new products.    Yesterday I found the oat groats that I've been searching for and am in the process of trying out a new recipe from http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/oatgurt/ the oats are fermented in water over a few days.  First I soaked them in water all night and then this morning I ground it down until creamy.  Now the mixture will ferment and thicken over the next few days  (hopefully!).

I'm leaving it covered on my window sill where it's warm and this is supposed to speed up the fermentation process.


I was also really surprised by how well the sprouts did in the bag because I really had my doubts that a whole 2 cups would sprout being so packed in.  This is great because using the mason jar method only produces maybe a 1/4 cup.  I love when I find new products that work!!   Now I have something to do with all of this  :)
Had a great workout today and I was pretty hungry when I got home so I had another sandwich with the raw bread but this time I toasted it - so good!  It was much better and held together perfectly.  
Strawberries are fresh and yummy everywhere right now so a little greek yogurt and some unsweetened chocolate nibs I found at the organic store went perfectly.
Time for lunch making.....Supposed to be 26 degrees tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment