Recipes

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spaghetti squash lasagna

I try to do vegetarian a few nights a week but I also like to make sure that dinner is high in protein so it's always a lot more challenging than just grilling a chicken breast with some brown rice.   I love the challenge and coming up with ideas is most of the fun!  I make it a rule to use what I have in the fridge after a big shop and rarely have to go to the grocery store during the week so making sure that I'm stocked up is important.   Tonight was different though because although I've been frantically trying to fill the pantry, I still don't have my spices and am in the process of recollecting different grains and condiments.   I came up with the following and I have to admit that I really didn't think it would make the list for 'My weird but good files" but it did!  It was really yummy.

Pour some Pico de gallo onto the bottom of your fancy aluminum cake pan
from costco - very good and fresh
Roast your spaghetti squash until tender
Carefully pull strands away from skin and place on top of pico de gallo.  I used 2 small squash
Next I added 1 cup of cottage cheese along with 1 cup of egg whites to the magic bullet.  Along with this add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 2 tsp or more dried oregano and a squeeze of lemon.
Blend until smooth and pour evenly over squash
Next chop up some fresh feta and sprinkle over cottage cheese mixture.   This is at least 1 cup of feta
I sprinkled with some cayenne but if you don't like heat then just use paprika for color.   I baked this for a little more than an hour at 350.  
I cut this into 4 large pieces and topped with more pico de gallo.    Steve loved it and I thought it was very good with more hot sauce!  Would definitely make it again and now know that I can go in a dozen different directions with this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment