Recipes

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I'm back!

Oh it's been a long break from blogging and not by choice.   We've been in the process of moving between provinces and with 2 kids and a dog it's been a journey to say the least.    Edmonton is going to take me a while to get used to but I always adapt eventually and figure things out.   Since we had all of our clothing and most of my kitchen sent by train, the last week has been very challenging and I am definitely tired of using paper plates and feeding the girls dinner on the rented coffee table!   They had their best friend come for the week from Calgary and it was her birthday on Saturday so I had to get inventive with a cake.  I did a layered ice cream cake but realized I had no cheesecake pan so I used a big tupperware container from the dollar store.

 It wasn't fancy but the cake disappeared!  

Now to today.....May 4th 2010.  I woke up this morning expecting another day of organizing, taxiing and trying to get our new house together and instead woke up to this,
That's my new bbq covered in snow.   Nuff said

Now I must move on and try not to dwell as I'm sure that spring is just around the corner!  Being such a creature of habit I've found it hard not having my usuals around to snack on like protein bars or fiber cookies so I've been eating store bought bowel buddies for breakfast along with fruit and yogurt.  Today I finally got a chance to whip up some breakfast cookies.   I've been making these cookies for years and really don't have a recipe because I really just throw whatever I have on hand into a huge bowl and mix until I have a gooey mess.   When I feel the dough is thick enough to form into a ball I  place on a baking sheet  and press down.  Bake at 350 until firm, wrap and freeze.
These ones consisted of very approx....
2 cups wheat bran
1 cup oat bran
2 tbsp pysllium
4 big scoops vanilla protein powder
2 or 3 tbsp of baking powde
1 tsp soda
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup chopped apricots
1 cup sunflower seeds

Mix well and continue to add about 1/2 cup of water at a time mixing with hands to feel for sticky consistency in order to form into balls.   Once done I added 1 full bag of fiber 1 cereal and baked.
I would definitely add some sugar or spenda to next batch as these were not sweet at all (I don't mind though).     I had them this morning with some yummy almond butter and my most favorite coffee (while waiting for my Saeco) a bold venti Starbucks.  
I love these but I will warn that they are an acquired taste mostly because they don't taste like much!   I prefer thick and grainy to sweet but it would be easy to sweeten them up with some agave, stevia or molasses.   Tomorrow our stuff is supposed to arrive....YaY!     coffee at home again!




No comments:

Post a Comment