Recipes

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

sprout burgers

Remember those mixed grains I sprouted in the bag?
Well they've been sitting in the fridge waiting for me for 3 days and that's just about as long as sprouts can wait so tonight we eat burgers!   First they need to be ground down in the food processor.  I had close to 3 cups of sprouts. and then added 1 cup of cooked black beans which I mixed in whole.
 Next I added 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup flax meal, 2 tsp salt and pepper, 1/4 cup egg whites, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 3 tsp dried), 1 tsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves fresh) and 1 chopped Serrano pepper (or 1 tsp cayenne).     Mix well.
I used an ice cream scoop and refrigerated the burgers to firm them up a bit (they're very sticky)

About an hour later I flattened and fried them in a tiny bit of olive oil until crispy.
I'm using my grill fry pan which is sooo much easier to clean then the George Foreman!
This is Steve's dinner with baked sweet potato fries, mine was the same but without the bun.

I've saved the rest of the burgers raw and tomorrow I will try dehydrating them.   So final conclusion??? These burgers were good and held together well but needed some BAM! (like Emeril would so annoyingly yell).   I will definitely be making these again soon but next time I will be adding one of these ingredients to up the wow factor.
Crumbled blue cheese  (Goat would work well too)
Curry paste (something nice and strong and hot)
Raisins or chopped apricots and pumpkin seeds
corn, cilantro instead of basil and lots of chili powder and cumin
chick peas instead of black beans with oregano and feta
I think this could go on and on and I have found a veggie burger that will become a new family favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment